DoD tracks performance and establishes Logistics goals based in part on the complexity of the cases. Specifically, simple contracting cases that involve routine or repeat purchases of the same item, such as spare parts, training, and technical support, have shortest anticipated offer date.
Standard cases that include purchases by experienced DoD customers such as purchase of a Blackhawk helicopter with all associated equipment and services, have an intermediate anticipated offer date.
Complex cases involve factors that are expected to substantially impact the time taken to complete the offer/acceptance or involve significant modifications and, therefore, have longest time period.
For example, the sale of new F-35A Joint Strike Fighter Conventional Take Off and Landing aircraft, which includes spares, support equipment, technical orders, contractor services, programme tech support/training, would be categorised as complex.
1. Provide support/augmentation to Combatant Commands to define/refine partner capability requirements for training provide foundation of acquisition and contracting for steady-state and expeditionary operations.
2. Establish and deploy Expeditionary Requirements Generation Teams to customer sites translate capabilities into precise, actionable, and sustainable requirements.
3. Create a Strategic Planning Support Group to identify partner capability requirements for technology security disclosure reviews transit/distribution Logistics training requirements.
4. Implement mitigation plans for when release problems are identified, and develop policies for equipment transfers and submit them for review and approval.
5. Create training programmes enable expertise in security cooperations assistance authorities and funding,
6. Maintain an inventory of high-demand and long lead-time items via recapitialsed Special Defense Acquisition Fund
7. Define structure of workforce; training, education, and experience certification standards
8. Perform workforce assessments to identify gaps with tools and/or reach-back capability in place of the training.
9. Identify and institutionalise key security cooperation-related skills as part of a systematic approach
10. Implement “fast-track” or Compressed, Rapid Acquisition, Fielding and Training process to handle unexpected and urgent cases cannot be met by standard processes in the time required.
Top 10 Weapons Systems Portfolio Supplier Component Activities Ensure Productive Services Acquired
Site Visit Executive chairs focus groups to define common processes for DoD Service Logistics metrics to be utilised for assess status update trends in the acquisition of services and provides portfolio oversight of Equipment Service Life Sustain process by establishing strategic execution of programme domains to improve planning so greater efficiencies and cost reduction is achieved, most importantly ensuring processes are in place to monitor post-contract service provider performance.
1. Assess supplier status updates to identify product support providers within the marketplace for specific services
2. Identify potential contract consolidation supplier candidates to ensure compliance with category groups
3. Demonstrate supplier competencies, performance, and cost competitiveness.
4. Maximise participation at all supplier levels to expand competitive base of service providers
5. Use controls and supplier review systems to establish situational awareness of services acquisitions
6. Ensure services acquisitions use performance-based supplier requirements to maximum extent practicable
7. Include identifiable and measurable cost/schedule & supplier performance outcomes consider quality and delivery
8. Enhance supplier services acquisition planning and coordination by using multi-functional review teams
9. Accomplish supplier reviews to collect information and maximise reliance on available marketplace
10. Realise benefits from supplier capabilities, tech & competitive forces to meet mission requirements
Top 10 Weapons Systems Logistics Services Contracting Process Execution Phases to Close Product Support Deals
Administration of product support services acquisitions must improve productivity and efficiency. Requirements will be addressed from an appropriate enterprise-level so resulting contract awards are aligned with mission, performance, and cost objectives to enable implementation of strategic oversight framework. Contracting phase format requires collection/sharing of Sales information within and across organisations, employing boundary crossing teams so best Services Contracting practices and lessons learned are identified.
1. Initiate Assistance Request
Contract Sales process begins when field units submit request notice to purchase items or services. In the request notice, field units express interest in obtaining preliminary cost estimate for acquisition of capabilities to detail offer and acceptance process determine quantities, cost, and schedule for sale of items/services provided.
2. Define Requirements
Meeting desired capability can be iterative process to require multiple interactions between field units and Sales Division For example, to sufficiently define the requirements consult to identify not only weapon system categories and support requested to achieve desired capability.
3. Consider Operational Factors
If field unit wants to acquire weapons systems, Sales Division will ensure the customer considers operational scenario of use factors and capacity of forces to operate and maintain weapons system, ie, requirements for spare parts essential to properly equip to operate and sustain mission
4. Specify Agreement Process
Request is forwarded to Sales Division responsible for particular weapons system item then provides preliminary pricing estimates for sales agreement determine specification of offer and acceptance.
5. Assign Responsibilities
Contracting officers in Sales Division solicit requests for supplier proposals and negotiate prices necessary to award contracts. During this phase, contracting officers make determination of best acquisition strategy to include appropriate contracting vehicle to fulfill customer request
6. Include Specific system/support
Training, logistics and spare parts must be included in drafted contract and Sales Division must review and approve the agreement with notification if proposed sale meets established thresholds and other requirements then agreement is sent to field units for action.
7. Proceed to Acquisition
In this phase, sales Sales Division is responsible to fulfill field unit request from existing supply or procured weapons systems items/services confirm offer and acceptance upon funds receipt.
8. Determine Best Structure
Contracting officer may determine the best approach is to combine field level and Sales Division requirements on single contract or place on separate contracts depending on realisation of cost effectiveness approach and best meets production schedules align with field unit timeframes.
9. Expedite Delivery Conditions
Upon delivery of items by supplier included in offer/ acceptance agreement determinates, field units take custody and make arrangements for transit/delivery reimbursement to Sales Division
10. Execute Case Closure
Weapons system procurement case is a candidate for closure when all materiel and services have been delivered and field unit customer has not requested for the case to be kept open by Sales Division.
Top 10 Core Logistics Planning Considerations Organised With Field Unit Sustain Work Order Capable Mission
Logistics sustainability overview provides broad assessment of the core capabilities of Logistics Services required to execute component commander plans. Logistic sustainability action plan assessment tool seeks to define the total unconstrained requirement of logistics for execution of a concept of operations. Goals of review must highlight operational- level gaps in logistics and risks associated with Service providers to supporting operations. The product assesses each core capability of logistics and is usually accomplished as part of plan updating status of Logistic sustainability potential.
1. Force Structure Transit
Ability to see and act upon supply/troop circumstances access real-time information of units and items entering theater of operations
2. Force Structure Sustainment
Requirements to keep weapons systems operating at an acceptable operational tempo until adjustment made to redeploy
3. Supply/Equipment Stocks
Cross-functional approach to procuring, producing and delivering products/services for military applications
4. Global Network Requirements
Used by military units with emphasis on real-time info rate, fast routing during mobility and integration with existing systems.
5. Resource Capability/Risk
Effective process for preserving resources to address challenging circumstances of conflict risk for military operations
6. Field Maintenance Activities
Involves on-equipment or organisational maintenance performed by operating unit on day-to-day basis to support assigned weapon systems operations
7. Depot Maintenance Activities
Entails materiel maintenance requiring major repair, overhaul, or complete rebuilding of weapon systems, end items, parts, assemblies
8. Base/Installation Support
Site directly operated by or for military to shield military equipment/personnel, and promote training/operations
9. Contract Support Integration
Task executed under expedited agreement authority to provide supplies/services from commercial sources in operational areas
10. General/Combat Engineering
Forward positioned unit performs construction tasks under combat conditions with goals to involve facilitating mobile/support of Troops
Top 10 Logistics Sustainment Operations Combatant Commander Option Select/Design Mission Planning Factors
Logistics Sustainment planning addresses capacity/capability requirements to result from deliberate planning processes or those utilised during prosecution of an extended campaign. Concurrent with deliberate planning processes, sustainment is included in Product support Services plans matching the procurement and delivery of supplies, equipment, troops and other support against forecasted requirements for periods of consumption contribute to Sustainment demand applied against level of combat intensity, adversary strength, and estimated duration of the campaign.
1. Conflicting mission priorities adjudication
Clarify real-time work order scenario to demonstrate existence of multiple tasks, some are urgent, some are routine, others have higher priority to meet guidelines, and are working on a date/time dependent schedule.
2. Direct Integrated transit process
Create ability to forward traffic purchases towards transit provider required to forward that traffic further and also provide for autonomous system purchasing to have routing information involves obtaining direct connectivity from customer to upstream transit provider.
3. Coordinated component suppliers
Coordinate internal/external suppliers providing services in a cost-effective way to achieve the end-to-end service levels required to support business function goals crate layer between suppliers and internal functions to support/enable integration of services offered by multiple internal/external service providers.
4. Timely requirement/shortfall identification
Determine requirements to mitigate deficits in force structure, equipment, troops, materiel, or capability, reflected as difference between resources identified as requirements apportioned to combatant commander for planning, and what could compromise ability to accomplish mission.
5. Component operation function expertise
Identify unique input, part, piece, assembly or subassembly, system or subsystem required to complete activity, item, or job, also perform functions required for system operation, or intended to be included as a part of a finished, packaged, and labeled item. Components are usually removable in one piece and are considered indivisible for a particular purpose or use. Commonly, items of very small or insignificant cost are not considered components.
6. Link component capabilities schedules
Enable application administrators to control when/where work order tasks take place in information space. Using Scheduler can improve planning of time consuming tasks and ensure tasks occur without manual intervention so operating costs are reduced and more reliable routines are implemented with shorter time windows.
7. Integrated logistics authorities
Integrate logistics support process for materiel support strategy to optimise functional Services, leverage existing resources, and guide system engineering process to quantify and lower costs of Service Life sustainment and decrease demands for large logistics footprint to make system easier to support.
8. Joint logistics planning centre
Provide means to integrate, coordinate and prioritise joint logistics capabilities toward achieving supported commander operational objectives and desired outcome during all phases of plan execution.
9. Situational awareness maintenance
Prioritise situational awareness to enhance perception of elements/events in decision time/space, articulate meaning, and projection of status updates after some variable has changed, such as time, or some other variable, such as a predetermined event.
10. Cross component asset track
Resolve trade-offs compromising requirements with Balanced Scorecards mechanism , for example, to involve equality of impact, pressure or achievement and optimise effort to find most attractive resolution of conflicting elements to mitigate risk or other combination so positive net total impact to mission requirements is best achieved.